Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What I Wore Wednesday #1

I am totally new to this whole SAHM thing. Don't get me wrong, I love it. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I do, however, miss brushing my teeth. And brushing my hair. And not having to seriously stop and think, When was the last time I ate?? I caught a glimpse of myself while changing JB's diaper the other day (why oh why I put a mirror in my daughter's room is beyond me…) and almost crawled under her crib in shame. My hair was ALL OVER my head, only scant pieces remaining in the hair elastic I had put in there three days ago, my face was bare and splotchy and I was standing on the too-long legs of my fold-over worn out yoga pants (aka pajamas) paired with my long-sleeved thermal covered in spit-up.


Conveniently, this is roughly around the same time I discovered the blog Musings of a Housewife (fabulous style!!) and her links to The Pleated Poppy's "What I Wore Wednesdays".  I drooled over hundreds and hundreds of moms, just like me, dedicated to being held accountable for what they look like on a (somewhat) daily basis.  Everyone looked so chic, so put-together!   I can be stylish, I thought.  At least I used to be what I would consider relatively stylish.  So I made a decision.  I will participate.  I will get my drool-covered butt up and make more of an effort to pull myself together.  If other moms can do it, I can do it.  I will not guarantee every day (yet) but I will try harder to look like I care what I look like when I set foot out of this house.  Baby steps.


TUESDAY:

Disclaimer:  This was when I first discovered WIWW and since I didn't want to just post one day's worth of outfit, I'm adding it to this week.  This is also before I downloaded the self-timer app for the camera on my phone. I'll let you know how that works.  And the lighting is totally awful here, so future photos will (hopefully) be better.  Be gentle, I'm new. 




EVENT: Trip to Target
Long-sleeved black shirt: Old Navy
Sleeveless flannel tunic: Craigslist special (tag says Miley Cyrus--I didn't even know she had a clothing line!)
Black puffy vest (top photo): NY & Company (a loooong time ago)
Skinny Jeans in dark wash: Wet Seal
Tall Black Boots:  Kohl's
Ponytail: compliments of a failed sock-bun attempt


SATURDAY:












EVENT:  Shopping trip for Mommy (while DH watched JB)
Denim jacket, Long-sleeved striped shirt, white cami, khaki pants: Old Navy
Necklace: so old I can't remember (rare opportunity to wear jewelry when I don't have JB)


This same day, I was excited to get home and discover that my package from Old Navy had arrived with my new "mom uniforms".  I figured wearing actual sweats that fit is a step up from crusty, week-old pj's.  Even though I plan on trying harder, let's be honest, I'm going to have sweat pant days (notice Wed-Fri are missing?  Baby reflux days…)  At least they can be kind of cute.

Oh so comfy… Please ignore our messy bedroom.  These pictures are proving to be a huge reality check for me.


Later that night, I cooked a delicious New Year's Eve dinner (recipe posted here) for DH and I.  Since I'm trying harder on my appearance, I decided to knock DH's socks off and finish cooking dinner in THIS:

Black dress:  Charlotte Russe
Red Heels:  Jessica Simpson
Red Belt:  Local Boutique
Necklace:  Too old to remember. Maybe Target?

SUNDAY:

EVENT:  Errands with DH and JB
Teal cardigan, long sleeved-shirt:  Old Navy
Boot-cut jeans:  GAP
Necklace and sandals:  Target
Sunglasses:  Coach
(After looking at this photo, I can see that this outfit needed something but I'm not sure what.  Maybe the cardi needs something more?  If someone has any suggestions, please let me know.  Thanks!)

I won't lie.  The rest of the week was spent "enjoying" my new sweats, but I did purge and reorganize my closet so that I could see what I had in my wardrobe to create many new outfits for future WIWW posts.  And on a side note, the self-timer app is not working very well so far.  From the looks of all these grainy pictures, it looks like I need to invest in a REAL camera anyway, not my cell phone or point-and-shoot camera.  We'll see.  


I am linking to:
pleated poppy

7 comments:

  1. i'm excited for you! SAHM-ing can be fun and you don't have to be frumpy :) you are off to a great start. btw thepleatedpoppy.com has cute flower accessories to jazz up your cardis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are rocking each look! i'm gonna look into that self timer app!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @mama hall--Thanks for the tip! I'll check them out! :)

    @ Lisa Leonard--Thank you for the vote of confidence! I hope you have better luck with the app than I have so far. I'm sure it's "user error" with mine. Hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for stopping by our blog and leaving a comment! you have cute style! we would love for you to link up with us on sunday "sunday best dressed". we need some help with ideas on things to wear to church, so any skirts or dresses you would like to share with us would be great! hope to see you sunday!

    -chelz
    griffithsrated.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the compliment! That sounds like a fun idea! I look forward to linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I never would've known you're generally in your jammies if you hadn't shared it - you look so great! And dang, you rocked that NYE dress:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much! I wish I could've photographed the shocked look on my hubby's face when he saw me removing dinner from the oven wearing 4" red heels! Haha! I'm sure he thought he was in the wrong house. :)

    ReplyDelete