Sunday, September 4, 2011

Extreme Nesting

I do believe this baby is on her way...


I woke up this morning at 5 o'clock sharp, ready to tackle the world. Or at least finish my fall decor.  


Yesterday, I forced invited DH to join me on a trip to the Dollar Tree.  I have been reading throughout BlogLand that they have some nice vases and hurricanes so I figured, for a buck, why not?  I picked up eight in various sizes, along with some Spanish moss, red berry vase filler (never too early for Christmas supplies) and some apple cinnamon potpourri (not that it's that scented, but it was really a gorgeous red color that I couldn't resist!)


When I got home I spread all my goodies out on the dining room table and let the inspiration flow.  I wanted to make something to go on the two candles sconces I scored for 50% off at Hobby Lobby.



So using some inspiration from my beloved Pottery Barn, I decided to "build" a candle scene that could be changed out for every holiday/season.  I started with my tallest vases, some leaves from some garland (Hobby Lobby) and some old candles I've had in the cabinet.



Once I had enough moss in the vase, I dropped the candles inside.  At some point (after this picture was taken), I realized that these candles were going to be way too short, so I did some swapping around the house for the taller ones.




The tricky part was tying the leaves to the vase with my ribbon.  I didn't want to glue them because I wanted the leaves to be reusable every year.  There are no pictures of this part because I needed my hands, my feet and teeth to hold the leaves on while adding more and holding the ribbon taut then tying it.  But regardless, here's the end result:




Now if I can convince DH to go buy some drywall screws, we'll have these puppies up in no time! 


The other project I wanted to tackle was our "H" wreath.  I had purchased a grapevine wreath to hang in our TV corner but couldn't bare to let it remain "nekked"!  I love monograms, but DH, not so much.  I managed to convince him that a white, painted "H" floating in the middle would be just perfect.  I think he is exhausted with my "ideas on overdrive since becoming pregnant" so these days most of them are just met with his daily phrase of "Whatever you want to do, whatever makes you happy."  I love that man…


So, armed with a wooden "H" from Hobby Lobby (love that store) and some white acrylic paint, I went to town.  



Then I left it to dry overnight.

Scene Two: Five o'clock this morning

Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, I lept rolled my pregnant butt out of the bed and started where I left off.


My "H" was dry, albeit with a few pieces of the sales paper stuck securely to the back. Oops.  Anyway, I figured I would just tether it to the wreath using some clear thread from all four corners.  Sounds simple enough, right?  Umm hmm… 


So, nine months VERY pregnant, I dragged a kitchen chair over to the wall and started tethering.  Now, common sense would say, take the wreath off the wall and hang the "H" from a normal position.  But, as my poor bewildered husband shuffled sleepily into the living room to see his weeble of a pregnant wife standing on a chair, hanging letters from invisible string, losing blood circulation to her fingers, it was safe to say, common sense was not in the cards at the moment.  


Public Service Announcement:
Now before you think DH is horrible for "letting" me stand on chairs PREGNANT, I must remind you that I am terribly stubborn and once I get an idea, it's over.  He has tried, but has learned that the easiest thing for him to do is just hang around, keep a safe eye on me, and let me be.  Did I mention how much I love this man?


So after all that, here is the final result of our "H" wreath.  And of course I couldn't resist tucking some fall leaves throughout the wreath.  And while I'm at it, why not stick some everywhere else in the living room?  And while I'm at that, why not put together two more quick fall votives using some more moss, one fall leaf and an LED tea light candle?  Did I mention I dusted?  Oh yeah, I'm nesting.




Sorry for the grainy pics.  It WAS before sunrise after all.






We are working on a project for the BIG blank wall.
We're thinking something like this amazingly awesome shelf
from Pottery Barn.

No comments:

Post a Comment